At Lightsview Dental we have persistent commitment to oral hygiene being an essential part of any dental plan. Promoting oral health through preventative dentistry and education is the heart of our practice. Our hygiene department offers elite patient care through appropriate dental treatment, patient education and personalised dental maintenance and preventive programs.
Our dental hygienists are licensed practitioners who are focused on preventive oral health care. Cleanings, x-rays, preventive sealants, scalings and root debridements are among the procedures frequently performed by a dental hygienist. A dental hygienist is committed to oral hygiene education and will teach correct brushing and flossing techniques and recommend oral hygiene products to suit individual needs.
Your hygiene appointment
At Lightsview Dental our hygienist works closely with your dentist in diagnosis, treatment planning, and maintenance of your oral health. Each hygiene appointment includes:
- Evaluation of your health
- Examination of your teeth and gums
- Meticulous cleaning and polishing of the teeth above and below gum level
- Assessment and treatment recommendations for oral conditions such as bad breath and dry mouth
- Application of decay preventing agents
- Taking of radiographs, as may be required for diagnostic purposes
- Instruction on correct brushing and flossing techniques and advice on appropriate oral hygiene products to suit the individual
- Outline of a personalised oral hygiene program with recommended 3, 6 or 12-monthly visits, recommended future treatment and referral for specific treatment if required
How often should I see my dental hygienist?
At Lightsview Dental, our dental hygienists and dentist will create a dental hygiene program tailored to your particular needs. Once you have completed any necessary dental treatment and are in the preventive maintenance phase, we recommend a regular dental hygiene appointment every six months.
These appointments are where we work to keep you away from future dental repairs. The dental hygienist will evaluate your dental health, examine your teeth and gums (with your dentist), remove any calculus and stain deposits, assess and recommend treatment for any oral conditions such as bad breath and dry mouth, apply topical fluoride (if indicated), take necessary radiographs, teach the most effective brushing and flossing techniques, advise on the best home-care products, and form an on-going plan to keep you healthy.
What does a dental hygienist do?
- Completes a patient’s oral health assessment, including a health history review, recording of oral condition, oral cancer screening, and evaluation of periodontal disease (gum disease)
- Removes plaque and calculus (“tartar”) using dental instruments;
- Removes staining and polishes restorations/fillings
- Assesses and treats periodontal disease (gum disease)
- Takes radiographs (x-rays);
- Tooth whitening
- Applies cavity-preventive agents such as fluorides and sealants to the teeth;
- Administers local anaesthetic or other topical anaesthetics (if indicated)
- Educates patients on proper oral hygiene techniques to maintain healthy teeth and gums;
- Counsels patients about plaque control and developing individualised at-home oral hygiene programs;
- Counsels patients on the importance of good nutrition for maintaining optimal oral health.
Keep your smile healthy and bright with a scale and clean at Lightsview Dental. Call us now to book your appointment.